Sunday, November 17, 2013

Fujifilm X Pro1 and X100s Street Photograpy in Oslo

On a dark november's evening like this I miss the Norwegian summer. So after posting lots of pictures from Thailand recently, I thought I'd post some street shots from Norway. These picutres were taken in Oslo during a thai food festival in June 2013 at Youngstorget. Some pictures are from the festival area, others from the streets nearby.

 Fujifilm X100s, iso 400, f/8, 1/100sec.
Fast autofocus or not, I waited for this situation above to happen, and had already set my focus. I was waiting for one of the adults to move forward to give the street artist money. Then suddenly this girl with the colorfull dress and toy guitar jumped into the frame. Unfortuneatly I cut off the girls leg in the picture, but personally I like this anyway, with him following her with his eyes as she moves forward. I have posted this one before, but then it was the OOC JPEG which had blown out highlights in the background. This version is from the RAW file and post processed in Lightroom 5.

Fujfilm X100s, iso 400, f/4, 1/400sec.
For the above shot I took several frames, but I liked this one where the banjo player makes eyecontact with me. Usually I try to avoid that, but this one I caught just in the millisecond he looked at me, and before he changed posture. At the time I wasn't so familiar with the 35mm slight wide angle frame, having almost only shot the 53mm equivalent Fuji lens on the street so far. I was not close enough. I had to crop this picture a bit in post.

Fujifilm X100s, ISO 400, f/4, 1/1200sec.
The above is a lucky shot perhaps. I saw the woman in this nice coming. But I did not anticipate the street salesman coming over and following her for about 5 meters or so, or her closing her eyes and really showing her lack of interest.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 w/XF35mm, iso 400, f/2.2, 1/1250sec.


Fujifilm X-pro1, iso 200, f/2.8, 1/600sec.
Above - well, that's my wife there with the Canon strap over her shoulder... I like my Canon dSLR cameras too, but not on the street. They're too big. My wife doesn't mind though. Here she is ordering some food at the food festival.

Fujifilm X100s, iso 400, f/4, 1/1600sec.
Well, he's sitting on my spot... Hope he got some nice shots too that day. Me, well I should have crouched down a bit and gotten a better angle - and definatly used a smaller aperture and got the people at the table in the background in sharper focus. Still learning :)


My buddy Gunnar showing off his cap. Actually, this is my cap, but when we passed this hat store I asked him to wear it and let me photograph him in front of this window.

Fujifilm X100s, iso 400, f/5.6, 1/420sec.
I remember this was my first time were I spent a good amount of time on the street with the X100s, and I was very happy with it. It was much snappier in both focus and overall operation than my X-Pro1. But I still prefer the size and handling of the X-Pro1. 

1 comment:

  1. I visited Oslo and these same pedestrianised locations several years ago and still think it was the most civilised city of all the places I've ever been. Regarding the photography, I think what you had here was an ideal setting for the camera you used. I am a very new owner of both an X100 and X-Pro1 and at the moment find the former a far more natural and simple camera to use. It takes away many of the distractions that make me indecisive at times as a photographer. Yet it consistently delivers outstanding image quality. The lens focal length was ideal, in my opinion, for the choice of subject here and the camera itself is quiet, understated and discreet, which helps with strangers all around you. I think the X100 is my favourite camera to date because it feels entirely natural and there is a deliberate 'organic' quality to it. Which was also true of the Radisson hotel breakfasts from just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.